Monday, August 24, 2009

Ancestral Villages - Slatina & Chric

After visiting the cemetery in Hedčany and picking up another couple cousins, we caravanned to Slatina. The first written informatio about this town dates to 1368. Slatina, Holovousy, and other area villages were part of the Chric Parish. Katerine Pauby (Pauly) was born in Slatina, House No. 13, in 1746. The house no longer exists. She married Thomas Zetek from Hedčany.

Thomas's 3rd great granddaughter Anna Slaba (born Zetkova) now lives in Slatina. She very graciously invited us to come to her house to visit. Along the way we picked up a few more cousins. We looked like a small army arriving.


I think the name of the lady in red is Dana, but I'm not sure. I was still pretty befuddled by all of this. George and I are listening to something Olga is saying.

Once inside, we migrated to the room that all Bohemians migrate to when visiting -- the kitchen!

From left: Miloslav, Barbora (the interpreter's daughter), Lloyd, and Anna, our hostess. Olga, the interpreter, is saying something to George.

Lloyd, Miloslav and I are listening intently to something. I wish I could remember what was being said!
Here's a shot of me, taken by cousin Martin Stekl. Can you tell how happy I am to be there and how I'm trying to take it all in?

Another group shot around the kitchen table. I'm not sure who the man in the white shirt is. He's a cousin, maybe Jaroslav, Josef's son. From left: George, Olga, Barbora, Jaroslav?, Miloslav's wife, and Anna.

We gathered for a group photo before we left. From left: Cousin Martin Stekl (on my father's side); husband Lloyd; George Matas from California; Miloslav; me; Jaroslav?; Miloslav's wife; Dana?; Jitka; and Anna.

We left the cousins and drove on to the village of Chric. Like the church at Kozlany, the church at Chric once anchored a parish that served Slatina and other small villages. Saint JanNepomuk is closed, having fallen prey to several burglaries and some vandalism. It was built in the second half of the 18th century by Maria Gabriela, the Countess of Lazany, who lived in a large chateau surrounded by an estate of good size. All now is in ruin. We didn't take any photos.

Next stop: Holovousy

No comments:

Post a Comment